Some Battle Scars Don’t Show
- Mood swings
- Loss-related grief
- Sleep deprivation
- Problems with alcohol or drugs
- Decrease in social interaction
- Marital difficulties
Poplar Springs Hospital, a TRICARE®-certified facility, is committed to providing a stigma-free treatment environment specifically designed to meet the needs of active duty personnel in all branches of military service. Toward that end, Poplar Springs provides Individualized Patient Focused Treatment for:
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder
- Substance Abuse/Dependency Treatment
- Chemical Dependency Detoxification
- Military Sexual Trauma
- Women’s Specialty Focus Groups
- Dual Diagnosis
- Crisis Stabilization
- Partial Hospitalization Program
In response to the present and growing need for high quality and intensive behavioral health services, Poplar Springs Hospital has developed our military treatment program through the Patriot Support Program network of treatment centers, support staff, and medical professionals dedicated to treating active duty members of the military, veterans and their families. We’re proud to be part of this network of care. Click below to play a special message from Heisman Trophy winner and mental health advocate, Herschel Walker, who is also a Patriot Support Program spokesperson.
We believe successful behavioral health treatment occurs in the least restrictive setting that provides the most effective intensity of services. Our treatment program uses empirically validated cognitive-behavioral and cognitive processing therapeutic approaches that are consistent with Department of Veterans Affairs and Department of Defense treatment guidelines.
Our intensive therapeutic programming focuses on treatment and transition; working to support the service member in reintegrating to:
- Duty Station
- Personal Responsibilities
- New Assignments
Our treatment modalities include:
- Individual therapy
- Group therapy
- Family therapy
- Activity therapy
- Nursing education
- Psychiatric assessment
- Ongoing evaluation by a military-trained psychiatrist
- Cognitive behavioral therapy
In addition to acute stabilization, we provide specialized, extended-care intensive treatment programs that focus on chemical dependency, combat-related post-traumatic stress disorders (PTSD), and military sexual trauma (MST). The chemical dependency treatment program focuses on the recognition and understanding of the bio-psycho-social aspects of addiction as well as the development of relapse prevention skills. The post-traumatic stress disorder treatment program addresses the emotional and psychological effects of combat stress and post-deployment, adjustment-related issues. Service members presenting with chemical dependency and combat-related stress participate in combined programming to address both disorders. Additionally, treatment is provided for female service members who have experienced military sexual trauma. Specialty trauma groups and women’s specialty focus groups are held apart from programming mentioned above.
Our facility offers treatment in both inpatient and partial hospitalization programs to structure programming to the needs of the individual service member. Partial hospitalization may be used as the primary treatment modality or as a transition from inpatient services.
Our military-experienced staff, including our program director, psychiatrist and military liaisons, complies with military regulations and structure. We communicate at least weekly with the military treatment facilities to provide updates on service members’ treatment progress and discharge planning.
Key Staff includes:
- Neil Hines, MD, Military Clinical Director
- Lauren Mullins, Military Admissions Coordinator
- Lorraine Rouse, Military Liaison – South
- Lynn Zemaitis, Military Liaison – North
Amenities for Our Military Include:
- Retired military veterans on treatment team
- Quick response time for admission
- Staff available 24 hours a day, seven days a week
- Reserved parking area and designated waiting area for military personnel and families
- Clinical expertise in PTSD, substance abuse, depression and anxiety disorders
- Military-specific issue groups
- Physical training daily: access to fitness center and yoga room
- Command consultation and involvement
- Individual case management
- Family education and support
- TRICARE® formulary utilized
Read our frequently asked questions or click here to download our brochure. To schedule an assessment, please call (804) 733-6874, toll-free (866) 546-2229. Our lines are open 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
“TRICARE” is a registered trademark of the TRICARE Management Activity. All rights reserved.